Saturday, January 24, 2009

hi-density

Poet: Lourd de Veyra
Source: "One Hundred Love Poems"
Year Created: 2003
Year Published: 2004
Publisher: The University of the Philippines Press




hi-density


baby tonight I'm trying to watch television and outside the moon
seems to have stopped breathing - a pool of flat radiance and the
only image in my mind is that of the black and white siamese kitty
cat tattooed on the small of your back because I hardly understood
the true nature of cats until you silently tiptoed into my life and I
entered you with the smoothness of hot knife through butter and
smoldering like the tip of a syringe and because the memory of your
skin still haunts me burning more savagely than this moon so boring
the television appears to hum with more life and baby I am sorry I
had met with apathy the concern for your real true siamese kitty cat
because I am in a state of consciousness that receives neither the
eleven o' clock news nor the lunar manifestation of truth and love
and whatever strange music it is hanging outside these unreal windows
and baby I hope you are not thinking it is the cat you keep between
your legs I think about all the time with an egyptian's impious
devotion to bast and baby I hope you are still alive and you too are
watching television this very moment with only the real virtue of
understanding beaming on your ghostly face more beautiful than
moonlight more beautiful than death and imagining what might have
happened had you come over to let that feline tattoo curl up cozily
on my bed tonight baby now I begin to understand the true nature
of absence and hunger in the sudden keening of a cat

_________________


From the famous Lourd de Veyra of Radioactive Sago Project, "hi-density" is a poem that tackles a man's longing for a dead lover. It is almost midnight and despite the hour, he still feels so awake because of his strong imagination working to almost resurrect his beloved.

In the last lines of the poem you will observe that he becomes sensual. Perhaps he is thinking of intimate moments with the woman. And it is confirmed when he wished for the woman to be there watching television too.

Well, I tried hard to retain the form of the poem here but failed (GRRR Blogger!). The form is important because sometimes it also expresses the persona's mood. Now, you should start checking the form of this one. Very continuous and with a slight opening or space in the last line. If you ask me, the poem as a whole, sure does look something else. And, I think it only justifies the poem's sensuality.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have read some of his poems and are actually considering him for a feature in an upcoming issue of our Magazine.

Anonymous said...

hello, do you have a word document of this poem? I need the form of this poem.Can you pls send it to whattamen_japo@yahoo.com. Thank You Very Much

Wholesale Printing said...

Woohoo! I love reading Mr. Lourd de Veyra's works.
(He somehow manages to write in every issue of the literary portfolio "Dapitan") And I love his songs too.
Seems like he enjoys kitties too much, doesn't he? lol.
Thanks for sharing this :)

Post a Comment

Please fill up all the necessary fields. Don't waste your time posting irrelevant and spammy comments. The blogger will just delete them.